College Week has arrived and the sun is out! I’m sure many of you have been looking forward to this week for a while and we hope you enjoy yourself, but it is important to remember your duties and responsibilities to your housemates, neighbours and the property you are renting. We will not be trying to get in the way of anybody having a good time but please keep in mind that acts of anti-social behaviour, breaches of your lease or acts of vandalism to property/grounds and will not be tolerated during College Week, the same as any week of the academic year.
Some key points to remember are as follows:
1. Drinking in public areas is prohibited at all times as per the terms of your lease. Please dispose of bottles/cans/cigarette ends correctly and we encourage everyone to pick up any rubbish from outside their front door.
2. Do not remove furniture or cushions from your house/apt. This is the property of the owner and is not to be used externally.
3. Respect must be shown to Gort na Coiribe staff and Security at all times. Security hours will be extended for the week – please contact the security office if you require assistance.
4. Security will be alerted to the houses/apts that have already been issued with warnings – please have the good sense not to get yourselves into a situation that may lead to final warnings or notice of termination of lease. It is company policy that students on a final warning will not be accepted back to Gort na Coiribe. Furthermore we may not be in a position to offer you a positive reference for future accommodation providers.
5. The NUIG Disciplinary Board have asked to be notified of any breaches of lease or anti-social behaviour – the NUIG Code of Conduct extends to the various student villages and they fully intend to take disciplinary action against any breaches of the Code of Conduct.
6. In the interests of safety & security within the complex, residents are requested not to allow entry to anybody except your own personally invited guests and visitors. As per your lease agreement you are responsible for all persons you bring in to the complex and any damages they may cause. Your lease states;
Not to use the Residential Unit, or any part of it, nor allow anyone else to do so for activities which are dangerous, offensive, noxious, noisome, illegal, or which are or may become a nuisance or annoyance to the Landlord or the owner or occupier of any neighbouring Residential Unit.
7. Please note you are ultimately responsibility for your own security and the security of your house/apartment. Onsite Security are here to monitor and deter – they are not the arm of the law. If you are the victim of a criminal offence we will assist you if we can but you must call the guards immediately. Your local Garda station is Mill Street Garda Station, Galway; Phone No: 091-538000. For your own safety;
- Be vigilant when entering and exiting the complex
- Ensure your windows, doors and curtains are closed at night.
- Do not draw attention to your unit, do not antagonise non-residents.
- Report suspicious or anti-social behaviour to reception, (during opening hours) or security or the guards.
8. Lectures carry on as normal during College Week and many students choose to keep up with their studies rather that socialising for the week. Please allow your housemates and neighbours the quiet enjoyment of their home as you would do on any other week.
We hope that you have an enjoyable week but please do so in safe and sensible manner.